Now that spring has officially hit Toronto it’s time to think about commercial HVAC maintenance for your rooftop units. Taking action in the early spring is the best way to avoid the rush of maintenance requests that occur as soon as temperatures breach 20 degrees Celsius. When commercial HVAC maintenance is required it’s necessary to take action quickly as tenants and visitors to your commercial building are relying on a comfortable working atmosphere.
When it comes to commercial HVAC maintenance more than 50% of all air conditioner failures result from poor cleaning practices, which means avoiding a breakdown is easier than you might think. Here are some essential things to take care of in addition to booking an appointment with a reputable commercial HVAC maintenance visit with a company like Novel Care.
Commercial HVAC Maintenance Checklist
- Condenser Unit Check: During the fall and winter months a condenser unit can become clogged with fallen leaves and other airborne debris. Coil damage can also occur during this time with strong fall and winter storms pounding the elements against your rooftop units. Snow and ice have the ability to do real damage it care isn’t taken and repairs are properly performed. In the spring ensure that all debris is removed from the coils, straighten any best coils, and clean all coils and the surrounding area with soapy water.
- Wiring Inspection: Whether commercial HVAC maintenance is being performed on a rooftop or ground-based unit inspecting the wiring is important. Rodents like rats and mice will find their way into your air conditioning units during the cold winter months seeking shelter. Wiring is an ideal place for a nest, which means they can be damaged in many ways: chewed wiring, burnt wires, loose connections, electrical shorting, or deteriorating wiring.
- Check Refrigerant Levels: If the refrigerant levels are low in your system there’s a good chance you might have a leak somewhere. In that case it’s important to repair the leak prior to adding more refrigerant or running the unit when the weather gets warm again.
- Proper Cleaning Includes The Drain Lines, Blower Fan, & Evaporator Coils: Mold mineral deposits, dust, dirt, and other debris can clog fans, drain lines, and evaporator coils. Cleaning and removing any debris from the internal areas of your commercial HVAC units is essential to their efficiency and proper functioning.
- Filter Replacement: Filter quality is a big factor in how often filters need to be changed. Fibreglass and charcoal filters typically only last a month or two, while pleated filters will last anywhere between 3 and 5 months depending on the time of year.
Overall, a properly configured and maintained commercial HVAC system will provide a lifetime of efficient cooling and air filtering for your commercial building. Commercial HVAC maintenance is designed to keep your utility bills from increasing dramatically during seasons temperature peaks, which is not only good news for you but also your tenants.
For more information about commercial HVAC maintenance, commercial air conditioners, and other commercial HVAC components contact Novel Care today. Novel Care has been serving Toronto, York Region and the rest of the GTA for over 30 years. Call: 416-727-5016.